Update to Proposal Deadline Policy 12/01/2022
Research management has changed the internal deadline policy for all submissions that require institutional signature (this includes NIH, Foundations, NSF, DOD, DOE etc.) follows:
Initial review of application: 8 business days before grant deadline
Final Science Components: 3 business days before grant deadline
There will be NO exceptions!
In order for the Grant Team to adhere to these deadlines Martinos Center policy will be the following:
Complete Request Form/Mandatory questionnaire: 6 weeks before grant deadline
Administrative documents due: 20 business days before grant deadline
Final Science Components: 4 business days before grant deadline
- Calculators: An Excel spreadsheet that calculates the internal due dates for any deadline, including weekend and Federal holidays has been updated to the Grants page for each mechanism.
- Once the due date is added, it will automatically calculate the dates that documents need to be sent to Admin Grant person. If the calculated dates are not followed, the Grant Team will not be able to accommodate your request. We need ample time to meet the Research Management (RM) 8 day deadline for the initial review.
Changes to Current Proposal Deadline Policy:
Please see the following changes to the Late Exception Approvals under the Proposal Deadline Policy:
- Late exception approvals for the Administrative (8 Day) Deadline expire after 48 hours.
- Late exception approvals the day before the Deadline Date require the proposal to be completed and submitted to RM at the time of the approval.
- Late exception approvals for the Final (3 Day Science) Deadline will no longer be granted on the Sponsor Deadline Date.
If you are unable to meet the 8 day deadline policy, please contact your Grant Administrator for assistance with this process. Late Approval Form.
NIH’s 2023 Policy on Data Sharing
You may have noticed by now that INSIGHT System have a new question under Compliance page regarding plans submitted in accordance with the NIH Data Management and Sharing Policy.
As these questions are very detailed, Research Management (RM) have developed a fill-able form NIH DMS Plan questionnaire that Principle Investigator can download the form, or the Grant Administrators can send to the Investigators to assist with completing this section of the Compliance page. The DMS questionnaire Forms & Templates section.
NIH & MGB Policy on the Limitations and Restrictions for Data Sharing can be also found on the Research Navigator site under the on the MGB NIH Data Sharing Navigator page.
New Mass General Brigham Policy on the Limitations and Restrictions for Data Sharing
The new NIH DMS Policy (became effective January 25, 2023) promotes the sharing of scientific data, applies to all research that results in the generation of Scientific Data, and is funded in whole or in part by the NIH.
Under this policy, the NIH recognizes that certain factors may limit the ability to preserve and share data. Mass General Brigham is releasing a systemwide policy that describes limitations and restrictions for sharing data when creating a Data Management and Sharing Plan (DMS Plan) as required by the NIH DMS Policy. The Mass General Brigham policy includes:
- Legal and contractual limitations/restrictions for sharing data
- Technical limitations to sharing data
- Human data: ethical and legal limitations/restrictions on sharing
- Animal data: ethical and legal limitations/restrictions on sharing
Thank you for adhering to these Updates.
Steps to Follow
Submit the Request Form
Submit the Mandatory Questionnaire
Download the Calendar Tool to determine the Due Date for your submission
Download the appropriate checklist for your application (link provided for each mechanism)
Once all of these steps have been completed the Senior Grant Administrator (Mary Roy) will assign your application to one of the Grant Administrators and they will become your point of contact, providing step by step instructions to get through the Grant Application Process
Once all of your Admin Documents have been reviewed by your grant administrator, he/she will process the ASSIST record and route to Research Management through the internal routing system (Insight) for review by our signing official.
This process usually takes a few days to review and process the ASSIST record
Routing to Research Management
Research Management will come back with comments/corrections etc.
Science should be completed 7 Business days before the actual due date so that the application can be submitted on time