Who must complete the “Training in the Responsible Conduct of Research” attachment:
The “Training in the Responsible Conduct of Research” attachment is required.
Attach this information as a PDF file. See NIH’s Format Attachments page.
Mentored CDA applications should describe a plan to acquire instruction in the responsible conduct of research (RCR).
Non-mentored (independent) CDA applications should describe a plan to obtain or provide instruction in RCR, depending on your level of experience with RCR.
Attach a description of plans for obtaining or providing instruction in RCR. This section should document prior instruction or participation in RCR training during the applicant’s current career stage (including the date instruction was last completed). This section should also propose plans to either receive instruction or provide instruction (e.g., to participate as a course lecturer) to meet the frequency requirement of RCR training (see the “For more information section” below).
The plan must address the five required instructional components outlined in the NIH Policy on Instruction in the Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR), as more fully described in the NIH Grants Policy Statement, Section 22.214.171.124: Training in the Responsible Conduct of Research.
- Format: Describe the required format of instruction, e., face-to-face lectures, coursework, and/orreal-time discussion groups (a plan with only on-line instruction is not acceptable).
- Subject Matter: Describe the breadth of subject matter (e.g., conflict of interest, authorship,data management, human subjects and animal use, laboratory safety, research misconduct, research ethics).
- Faculty Participation: Describe the role of the mentor(s) and other faculty involvement in the
- Duration of Instruction: Describe the number of contact hours of instruction, taking into consideration the duration of the
- Frequency of Instruction: Instruction must occur during each career stage and at least once every four years. Document any prior instruction during the applicant’s current career stage,including the inclusive dates instruction was last
The plan may include career stage-appropriate individualized instruction or independent scholarly activities. Instruction and activities should enhance the applicant’s understanding of ethical issues related to their specific research activities and the societal impact of that research. The role of the mentor in RCR instruction must be described.
Renewal Applications: Describe the RCR instruction activities undertaken during the previous project period as well as future plan for RCR instruction.
For more information: